Anton Maria Salviati
Weapons in Front of Walled City
Anton Maria Salviati, son of Marquis Giovanni Salviati and Laura Crosi, was born in 1659 and baptized with the name of Antonio. His uncle, Anton Maria Salviati, Duke of Giuliano and Colleferro, died in 1703 with no male heirs. Salviati thusly received the name, title, and properties of his uncle. He was appointed by Grand Duke Cosimo III as Commander of the Guard of the Corps in 1704. Salviati died in 1723.
The three stripes on Salviati's armor on the obverse are taken from the Salviati coat of arms (three diagonal stripes). The eagle clutching a diamond ring is also an emblem of the Salviati family, originating as the impresa of their ancestor Piero de'Medici the Gouty.
The pile of arms and armor on the reverse with the flag of the Medici coat of arms (six balls) refers to Salviati's position as Commander of the Guard of the Corps. The walled city is a reference to Rome and the duke's seat there at the Palazzo Salviati alla Lungara. The mountain with the town and fortress symbolize the feudal lands of Giuliano.
Raffaele Negrini 43, 18 March 2017, lot 1227.